Polk House Being Renovated In Downtown
From Staff And Wire Reports
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
RALEIGH - The L.L. Polk House historic property that belonged to an important farming leader in North Carolina is being renovated in downtown Raleigh on Blount Street, just down the street from the Governor's Mansion.
The renovation is being completed through efforts and funds from the State of North Carolina Department of Administration, the NC Department of Agriculture, and the L.L. Polk House Foundation, Inc.
Work on the building is being done by Hart Brothers Contracting with plans being drawn up by Atlantec Engineers, PA. When finished, the house will be used as offices by the state.
The Victorian style house dates back to 1881 and was built by Leonidas L. Polk, who lived from 1837 to 1892. Polk was a prominent farmer in North Carolina but he was also an important leader in organizing the state's agriculture industry.
Polk served as President of the National Farmer's Alliance from 1889 - 1892 and also started the "The Progressive Farmer" newspaper in 1886. The publication is the predecessor of Southern Living magazine, a large publication that is still covers much of the Southeast.
According to the state of North Carolina, Polk was also one of the founders of North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts which later became NC Carolina State University as well as Meredith College.
According to the Raleigh Visitors Bureau, the house was moved from North Person Street to its present location around forty years ago to the 600 block of Blount Street and then was recently moved to its current location of 537 Blount Street.
The house currently sits across from the William Thomas Moore House Bed and Breakfast. ::