::Wrong Woman Being Called In Duke Case
By Elliott West, Raleigh Chronicle News Editor
Monday, April 16, 2007
DURHAM - According to the Durham Police Department, a woman is being telephoned in the city by reporters and she has asked that members of the media leave her alone.
Durham Police say that a Crystal Mangum who lives on Chalk Level Road in Durham is not the same Crystal Mangum who was the alleged victim in the Duke lacrosse assault case that has been given national attention in the media.
"We have received reports that members of the media have been contacting a Crystal V. Mangum of Chalk Level Road in connection with the Duke lacrosse case," said Cammie Michael, a spokesperson for the Durham Police. "This woman is not involved in the case and her relatives have asked that no further media contact be made with her."
Apparently, there are two Crystal Mangums in Durham and the one listed in the phone book has nothing to do with the Duke lacrosse case.
Crystal Mangum In Duke Case
According to statements to the media, the father of the Crystal Mangum was involved in the Duke case said that his daughter had been withdrawn from public view since she had her baby earlier this year and that he was concerned for her.
Last week, NC Attorney General Roy Cooper announced that all charges would be dismised against three former Duke lacrosse players Reade Seligmann, David Evans and Collin Finnerty and said they were "innocent."
He also stated that no charges would be filed against Crystal Mangum for what he described as inconsistent statements in her allegations of sexual assault.
During his press conference, Cooper said that Mangum still believed that she had been sexually assaulted and wanted to move forward with the prosecution of the case. ::